You are not connected. Please login or register

West Valley Member

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:49 am

Nova

Duran referred me here from another forum. Just wanted to see hello and that there needs to be a member build log section. Very Happy

For anyone interested I'm starting a new build soon. I'm hoping it will be done by summer. Plan is 4 18" DC XL's on an SD16KD. Original plan was 2 Stetsom 7K2's, but after finding out how power hungry they are compared to the SD, i changed my mind. It will be a 4th order through the rear window of my pickup, 24^ ported with 12^ sealed and a removable port.

I'm hoping I can come up with some cash to buy Seth's 16KD as he's local.

2 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:20 am

Duran

Admin
Welcome, good to see you here Smile

Seth is somewhat local, in Rock Springs. He's "RE_XXX" on the forum.

3 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:41 am

RE_XXX

SSPS!
LOL....

Welcome to the forum!!

And whoops... 4 18s.... not 4 15's guys.

Good choice to go back to SD amps Smile

4 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Vmann

Admin
Welcome! I'm not far from west valley like most other people here. Looking forward to your build Very Happy

5 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:45 pm

Nova

Thanks guys. The plan was originally 4 15's in a 4th at 3 to 1, but it has changed to 4 18's at 2 to 1. Hopefully I'll contact you again Seth. lol. Really waiting for this dang car to sell.

Here's the box design for ya guys. Constructive criticism is welcome! The port will be removable but the sketchup is like 40hz.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

6 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:59 pm

xseveredveganx

What makes you feel that the LV4XL 18's are suited well for a 4th order alignment?

Just curious.

Welcome!!!

7 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:00 pm

Vmann

Admin
6th order them bitches!!! loljk.

I like the design, but the bracing seems to be a little on the weak side and spread out.

8 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:01 pm

Nova

Just about any sub can be well suited in a 4th, just need to get the right ratio. We shall see how the XL's like 2 to 1. Very Happy

I thought about a 6th but with my experience I'll stick with the 4th for now. Wink

As for bracing, what do you suggest? I've ran this through a couple guys with big builds on SMD and they said it looks alright, but more opinions always help. The baffle shouldn't move with the bracing in the sealed chamber, only thing I can see flexing with that bracing is maybe the port, but I'm not positive.

9 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:19 pm

xseveredveganx

I'd personally try to get them in a series tuned 6th order. If they were the LVL4's, definitely a 4th order due to the higher QTS. But that's just me!

Hopefully everything goes well! If you need help, I'm sure there's more than a few of us willing to throw down!

10 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:24 pm

Nova

Thanks for the suggestions. If someone wants to design a box for a 6th I would consider it. The port needs to come in the rear window.

Max dimensions are 41" tall, 47" wide, and 50" depth. I don't want to design a 6th myself as I don't know much about how to tune them.

11 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:27 pm

kahoproductionz

looks promising...

12 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Vmann

Admin
Nova wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. If someone wants to design a box for a 6th I would consider it. The port needs to come in the rear window.

Max dimensions are 41" tall, 47" wide, and 50" depth. I don't want to design a 6th myself as I don't know much about how to tune them.

I'll whip up a 6th order, or few in my free time. I've been on a trip recently playing with enclosure geometry after designing rear loaded horns.

In regards to the bracing, I would just simplify. Instead of a few smaller braces, just extend one big one, maybe and 8" by 8" peice in a + shape from the front of the baffle, towards the vent. Not really sure about from top to bottom however.

What kind of response are you looking for? Just Low-lows? Or a wider passband? If you are just looking to play from 50hz on down with focus on the low 40's to low 30's, I'd keep the 4th order.

13 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:41 pm

Nova

The reason I chose a 4th is because it's a daily driver system but would like to start hitting some comps as well. I'm more focused on music, I could care less for burps myself. Most of the music I listen to is in the 30's and 40's.

Not sure if you've seen Hank Veach's F350, but he helped me decide on subs and the 4th. But he has done a lot of 4th orders and in his opinion, thinks the 4th at 2 to 1 would be a good setup for music which is what I'm going for.

14 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:24 pm

xseveredveganx

Nova wrote:The reason I chose a 4th is because it's a daily driver system but would like to start hitting some comps as well. I'm more focused on music, I could care less for burps myself. Most of the music I listen to is in the 30's and 40's.

Not sure if you've seen Hank Veach's F350, but he helped me decide on subs and the 4th. But he has done a lot of 4th orders and in his opinion, thinks the 4th at 2 to 1 would be a good setup for music which is what I'm going for.

Hank's good people. The Astro van he built a few years back was retarded.

15 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:44 pm

mcbuggin

150+ dB Daily
welcome and if you need help buildin it i'm down

16 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:51 pm

Duran

Admin
I'm open to help too, I've been aching for another build.

17 Re: West Valley Member on Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:02 pm

Nova

I will probably take you guys up on the help. Hanks building another van also

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum