So I got them fired up and painted, here are my thoughts. Overall results were much better than expected. I don't think I'll have to put much work into tweaking them at all.
Note: I'm going by ear here. I played a bunch of songs over about an hour period with both speaker cramped in the corner of my small room.
*Midbass is cleaned up, but seems to still have an anoying slight peak near 80hz. I'm now thinking this is a driver issue, that was earlier compounded by the trash heaps they were in. I know it is not a room placement issue, as I listend and played with them before in a couple different rooms.
Start of the line = 1.27x SD
End of the line tapered to .24 X SD
Line length = 82" - 1/4 wave of about 41hz.
* Output on the bottom end = better than expected, play well down to 30hz in my small room, then they drop off a cliff.
* I took a guess as to where the fs and Qts of the drivers might be, and tried to play it safe. It seems the common trend with good results is tune a bit below fs for a higher Qts (.4 and up) driver, and lower than fs for a lower QTS driver, (below .4). This has to do with controlling the rolloff combined with the desired impedance curve a TL system should have. Thats a tangent for later.
* I think I may have overshot the tuning more than expected with the taper, the tuning came out much lower than I thought it would, but I think it works really well. I will play with some dampening and try to null the peak at 80hz.
* I can't really comment on the midrange until I get some dampening in them, but overall I'm very impressed, considering I took a stab in the dark approach. I feel it payed off this time.
I'll get pics up in the morning. Its 3:30ish and I dont want to incur Ashlees wrath by snaping photos in a dark room while she sleeps.